06 August, 2013

*1266 - "rustic" carrot cake

I know I have mentioned it so many times before but I'm always amazed at my carrot cake recipe which has never failed to please a crowd.  Even baking it for the first time in years in SF, with a whole different set of ingredients (make up of flour, salt, etc. all change and affect the final product when you're using different brands) yielded perfect results.  It is a very forgiving recipe.  One of my go to's when asked to bring dessert, along with my spiked banana cake.

Am quite pleased that you can even see the little spots of vanilla bean in the cream cheese frosting!  I don't actually know how to frost cakes--I'm terrific at cupcakes, with a piping bag, but big cakes?  No time for using a teensy piping bag, no icing spatula in kitchen repertoire, no knowledge nor desire to produce professional-looking cakes ... hence my "rustic" cakes.  "Rustic" is one of those euphemisms you should look out for in real estate descriptions (along with "cozy", "potential", "compact", "unique" ...), which we are very well-educated on at this point, but really I do think it makes for a cute little cake.  Sprinkle a handful of walnuts on the top to take the mind away from the imperfections, and voila!  Rustic.  And delicious.